Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Let's Talk Chocolate

I am so tired right now. I woke up this morning and went to the gym for a great upper body lift and I had every intention of running 5 miles this evening, but I just don't know if it is going to happen. I am exhausted. I think sitting in a class room learning about Medieval feudalism might have caused this...

On a much happier note, I want to talk about chocolate. Dark chocolate is one of the few things that can make me happy after a long day of school. I don't mean chocolate that is like 55% cocoa, I mean chocolate that is at LEAST 72%. My personal favorite is the 88% from Endangered Species. Lindt's 90% Supreme Dark comes in a close second.

A great way to enjoy cocoa is by using baker's chocolate or cocoa powder that has 100% cocoa content, and therefore is the best for you. I was looking on Chocolate Covered Katie again and I found this recipe for her mint chocolate chip milkshake. I made it a little extra chocolately, and it was divine. A new go-to when I'm craving dessert.

(note: I took these pictures at a time when I made it without the cocoa powder, so when following my instructions below the milkshake should appear darker.)


Here's what I put inside mine:
1 Very Ripe, Frozen Banana
1 c. Unsweet Almond Breeze Almond Milk
1 drop of Peppermint Extract
1 tsp. Cocoa Powder
1 tsp. Guar Gum
1/2 Square Grated Baker's Chocolate

Blend all the ingredients except the baker's chocolate. Pour it into a cup and then add grated chocolate and stir until mixed. Enjoy!


Helpful Notes:
I grated my baker's chocolate with just a regular cheese grater.

The peppermint extract is extremely strong, so I always put a drop in a spoon and then drop that in the blender so that I don't pour more than necessary. You may want to taste it and then decide if you need an additional drop, but definitely err on the lesser side.

The Guar Gum is completely optional, but it acts as a thickening agent and makes it seem more like a milkshake. You can buy it at Whole Foods or here. Although I do think it is significantly cheaper at Whole Foods... 




All gone!! That didn't take long... :)


I think I am going to take a nap... but first, here is my workout from this morning.

Upper Body:
Bench Press 4x5
Flat Bench Dumbbell Fly 3x10
Flat Bench Dumbbell Pullover 3x10
Dumbbell Reverse Fly 3x10
Dumbbell Arnold Press 3x8/arm
Crunches on Decline Bench 3x10
Oblique Twists 3x10/side
Pike Pushups 3x10




3 comments:

  1. Looks heavenly, Lauren! Trying to pin it but it's not cooperating. Hopefully it will work in a minute here. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That shake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete